Sunday 28 December 2014

Long distance relationships

Since September, my boyfriend has been off at University whilst I've been home to finish off my A Levels.  Not exactly ideal, I must say! I love spending time with him, and any sort of time that I now see him, I cherish.  We manage to get through all of our struggles, and he comes home every 2/3 weeks or every month on a push.  For me, the first week is always the most difficult as it takes the most adjusting, often with a few tears for the first few days.  As it progresses it becomes easier, and I start to count down the weeks and days until I get to see him again.


Relationships in my opinion are something special, which you should cherish and hold on to as long as possible.  Love with all your heart, and give the other person your all.  This is something which I like to put into action in my own relationship.

Of course, no one wants to have a long distance relationship, but sometimes in life it just has to happen.  The best thing to do is just acknowledge the fact that if both of you want to make it work, it is possible.  As long as you are 100% committed with no 'if's or 'but's.

My tips to make long distance relationships easier:

1. Happiness  Make sure that you are both happy with continuing the relationship long term, and talk over any worries or issues which had been kept in the dark.  Lie all your feeling on the table and just think of it as honest time.  Without honesty, relationships are pretty much a lie.

2. Communication  Don't be all in the other person's face with constant messages and calls, but a message every hour or so doesn't hurt (if you're in the same country).  If not keep on top of Facetime's or Skype's.  There's nothing better than seeing your other half and even just hearing their voice.  Phone calls if you can, are also great if you can't text much.  Get into the habit of making this regular and setting a time that suits you both.  I always love falling asleep to a goodnight message.

3.  Be Open  No holding back. A relationship is for two people, not one, you're a team.  There's no room for secrecy, or lies.  Always communicate how you're feeling, whether you've had a brilliant day and visited new places, or even just had a cosy day in bed and miss your other half.  This way you can talk about all your thoughts or concerns instead of letting them brew up in your mind.  I'm a massive worrier, and if I don't let things out then they just overwhelm me!

4.  Trust  Remember that they are with you for a reason.  They love you, and are with you.  Therefore there's no reason to worry about them spending time with other people.  Trust is the key.  Also be understanding with one another.  Don't jump straight into conclusions, and give the other person a chance to explain themselves if you happen to face a conflict.  You're probably just over thinking it in your head!

5.  Future Plans  Always have a date set to next see each other.  This is a great way to power on and motivate you throughout your relationship.  That way you don't have hundreds of down days, as you can simply think about the future and your plans that will come.  Even set a place or event to go to, the more adventurous the better!

6.  Ask For Advice  Don't be scared to ask for some guidance.  When times get hard, and it's all getting a bit heavy, talk to a reliable close friend or a parent.  They have you're best interest at heart and will give you the best advice they can.  At the end of the day they're looking out for you!

Hopefully you have found this somewhat useful and are able to apply this to either your own relationship or friendships.
Lilly x

1 comment:

Coco Cami said...

Great post! I love your blog and if you ever get a chance to check out my blog I would be delighted, thanks!.

Camille xo

www.cococami.blogspot.co.uk